I’ve been hard at work turning a couple of old pictures and mirrors into pieces that will match our shiny new nursery. I don’t want too many different colours going on, so with the pink and grey walls and white furniture, I wanted white frames for anything we put up on the walls.
These two have been hanging around for a while – visitors to our houses from the last 10 years may recognise these; I’m pretty sure they’re both Ikea’s finest. I already have a white frame for a cross-stitch I’m working on, and I wanted a group of frames like in my inspiration photo that I keep referring to for the nursery.
I sanded them both down, stuck masking tape around the edges, and just painted them with the white emulsion we used for our ceilings. After 3 coats each, they looked quite good, so I started pulling off the masking tape. The mirror was ok, just needed the edges touching up a little, but the picture had some frosting around the images which came off with the masking tape, leaving an awful edge that I couldn’t do anything about.
We tried putting up the mirror in the nursery, but it turned out it looked a bit big and overpowering, especially as we want to put more up around it, so we’ve put that up in the spare room (where it was originally). I then had a go at painting little pink flowers all around the edge of the picture frame with the tester pot of pink paint to hide the edges. I’m still not convinced, but it’s up in the room anyway. I’ll see if it grows on me – Barry likes it, anyway!